Psalm 34:4-5

"I sought the Lord and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears.  Those who look to Him are RADIANT;  their faces are never covered with shame."  
Welcome to the Radiant Women's Ministry Online Devotional!
Many lives have been touched by the women of H2O sharing their hearts through this effective ministry tool!
If you are new to this devotional, we would like to share with you how it works...
Each week, one woman will be featured in the devotional. She will have the opportunity to share a little about herself and what God has placed on her heart to share with the women of H2O. At the end of each post is a comment section labeled "encouragements". This is used as an opportunity to encourage and uplift our courageous women who are graciously sharing their hearts with us.
If you haven't already done so, please consider becoming a FOLLOWER of this devotional. This helps us see who this is reaching. Please click the "FOLLOW" link below. It will ask you to create an account....it only takes a few minutes.
If you are interested in becoming a featured woman of the week in our Radiant Ministry Online Devotional, you may sign up by clicking on the link below and typing your name into an open slot.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?hl=en&key=tx9hdZxjZNuqGVTlISykNRg&hl=en#gid=0
We look forward to another year of lives being changed and the women of H2O growing closer through this unique opportunity to share what God is doing in our hearts!

Sunday, July 17, 2011

July 18: Ronda Westfall











What is your current occupation? What do you enjoy about it?

I am an attorney. I have my own practice and I work primarily in the areas of family law and immigration law. I enjoy having my own schedule which gives me more time with my family and to engage in my love of music. I actually have a degree in music and was at one point going to study at the conservatory until I got carpal tunnel syndrome. I feel like I am called and burdened to help people through my work which is a great responsibility but sometimes the burden of knowing so many intimate details about people's lives is overwhelming. I don't always feel up to the task but for some reason God still puts it on my heart to do what I am doing. I would love to use my law degree one day in the music scene and in human rights.

Devotional:

What has God been teaching me? That is a hard question because God has been working in my life in so many different ways, and those lessons are very different. I feel sometimes God has to keep teaching me the same lessons, because I don't learn my lesson well the first time and I am such a work in progress. Fundamentally, God is trying to teach me to trust him completely in every aspect of my life... as a wife, a mother, an attorney, and in my desires. Often, I am very insecure. I need a lot of affirmation from God and from those around me. I say this with embarrassment because I feel like I shouldn't need so much affirmation. But it is something with which I have always struggled. Sometimes I feel like I am caught in a rodent wheel, always grasping for affirmation, then depressed if I don't get it, then questioning my self-worth, then shame for ever needing it. I seem to measure all of my relationships against that rod of affirmation and I know it is a hopeless endeavor. I need to find security and my identity in being a child of God first, to trust God completely, and to stop measuring my success by the measure I give myself or the measure that I perceive others give me. Because it is so much a part of who I am, the battle is overwhelming.


Prayers:

That I find my identity in God and find security in that knowledge.

That I can balance my calling with my work and family and to still be able to pursue my passion and love for music on some level.

4 comments:

Sandra del Cid said...

Okay good I'm not the only one who likes affirmation!! Ronda I am ALL for someone who wants to help promote music :)

Tracy said...

Ronda -
I can understand the shame cycle and also feeling like you keep needing to learn the same lessons over and over. But sometimes I think, we fool ourselves into thinking that we "should" get the lesson on the first time, when really we just learn a new layer to it each time. Or that we each have our own personal struggles that we will have most of our lives. Not to depress you, but just to let you know your normal. I struggle with performing and trying to control things, I know it will be a constant battle in my life. Just try to keep trusting God a little more each day.
Tracy =)

Laura said...

I often have these same issues and I am told over and over to trust God. It is hard to remember to find my worth in him instead of others opinions. It's so hard to trust his plan instead of mine. I'm also trying to figure out the balance of work and family. It's hard when you feel like your making a difference in your profession, but sometimes it's so draining you feel you don't have much left to give. Thanks for sharing :-) I appreciate all you are helping out with on the worship team also.

B said...

Ronda,
It was so great to read your devotional! I think it is really awesome that you are so good at GIVING what you desire. I have noticed (although somewhat subconsciously until now) that you are a VERY affirming person! You always have a kind word or comment and I really appreciate that about you!