Psalm 34:4-5

"I sought the Lord and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears.  Those who look to Him are RADIANT;  their faces are never covered with shame."  
Welcome to the Radiant Women's Ministry Online Devotional!
Many lives have been touched by the women of H2O sharing their hearts through this effective ministry tool!
If you are new to this devotional, we would like to share with you how it works...
Each week, one woman will be featured in the devotional. She will have the opportunity to share a little about herself and what God has placed on her heart to share with the women of H2O. At the end of each post is a comment section labeled "encouragements". This is used as an opportunity to encourage and uplift our courageous women who are graciously sharing their hearts with us.
If you haven't already done so, please consider becoming a FOLLOWER of this devotional. This helps us see who this is reaching. Please click the "FOLLOW" link below. It will ask you to create an account....it only takes a few minutes.
If you are interested in becoming a featured woman of the week in our Radiant Ministry Online Devotional, you may sign up by clicking on the link below and typing your name into an open slot.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?hl=en&key=tx9hdZxjZNuqGVTlISykNRg&hl=en#gid=0
We look forward to another year of lives being changed and the women of H2O growing closer through this unique opportunity to share what God is doing in our hearts!

Sunday, June 20, 2010

June 21 - Jenni McIntire


How long have you been coming to H20?


Ryan and I started coming to H2O (when it was in Regal Cinemas) in March 2004. Wow—6 years! Can’t believe it has been that long.


What do you like to do for fun?


I like to read—books and now, blogs. They are addictive, I tell you. I get sucked into many blogs. I enjoy watching TV and movies. I have recently developed a love for photography. I took an online course, and now I am obsessed. I need a new camera, of course. I discovered that my camera is not one you would want to build on if you desire to make photography your hobby. Christmas list! Sad that I am counting down the days. I also love to do…(see next question)


What's an interesting fact about you?


Improv!!! Yes, one of my other main interests is improv comedy. Think “Whose Line Is It Anyway?” It is not stand-up. I’m not brave enough to do stand-up. I am a member of a phenomenal troupe called OFFSIDES (www.offsidescomedy.com). I also perform some Wednesday nights at SAK Comedy Lab as a member of their Gen S group. Improv is my creative outlet. I love to do it, and I have a wonderful husband and an awesome group of improvisers that encourage me and believe in me!



Lately, my biggest struggle has been letting my circumstances dictate my mood, even my happiness. I can begin a day with the best outlook, chipper, excited and then something happens that wasn’t anticipated. In one instant, I am bitter, angry, and depressed. That is not how I want to live life! I want to live with JOY! It makes me feel like a ticking time bomb, and I feel terrible for all those around me when I go off—my husband, my kids. I know that this state of being that I am in is my own doing, too. I have been in the just “living life” state, and I have not been focusing on God. I focus on myself and how to get through the day. Some days I do okay. Most, I do not. Focusing on yourself, regardless of what all those self-help gurus say, is not a way to go through life. Unless, say, your goal is a reality TV show. So, this is the problem.


The solution is easy, in the sense of naming it. The solution is hard, in the sense of executing it.


Matthew 22: 37Jesus replied: 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'


God knows that when we focus on Him and focus on others, our lives have purpose and meaning. Focusing on God and others makes me the best “me” I can be. It seems so counterintuitive, but it works. Focusing on God and on others brings out all of the character qualities that I desire: love, compassion, humbleness, etc. So, my verses that I have been memorizing are two that I have been chanting in my head whenever I get bogged down in myself, my circumstances, my fears, my wants.


Phillipians 4: 8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.


Phillipians 2: 3Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.


Prayer requests

1. Pray that I will continue to focus on God and on others.

2. Pray for Ryan’s dad. We pray that he is healed, but we also pray that he has strength to deal with this terminal illness.

3. Pray for Ryan’s brother and sister-in-law. They have many life changing decisions before them.

6 comments:

shannon absher said...

Jenni - love your reminder to keep our focus on loving God and loving others... it's so true what you said about this giving us so much LIFE, speaks to what we were created for. Thanks for your honesty and your reminder of truth, I can definitely relate to what you shared... especially the part about my mood being so controlled by circumstances when I'm not being renewed in TRUTH.

Thanks again for sharing this...well said! And really want to see you do improv sometime;) Next Radiant social event at the SAK??!! I'm always up for some improv...

Whitney said...

Jenni -

This is such wonderful wisdom. I continuallt struggle with this on a day to day basis. Thank you so much for the encouragement and verses :)

B said...

Jenni, I have been thinking a lot lately about how I too struggle with focusing on myself, and your devotion helps me to process those thoughts a little more and gives me verses to reflect on in those times when I am weak. Thank you for sharing and thank you for your friendship!

Allison Poorman said...

Love you Jenni....so thankful for you and for God in you!

Donna said...

Thanks for the post, Jenni! Happiness is a choice (albeit a difficult one). The more I focus on God and His purpose in my life and the world, I realize how inconsequential my circumstances are in the big scheme of things.

I am choosing to let minor things rob me of all the joy God wants me to experience.

Thanks for sharing and for the verses to provide encouragement.

Tracy said...

Thanks Jenni for sharing! I often struggle with letting my circumstances determine how I'm going to feel that day too. Thanks for the reminder about what to focus on and for sharing in the struggle together.