Psalm 34:4-5

"I sought the Lord and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears.  Those who look to Him are RADIANT;  their faces are never covered with shame."  
Welcome to the Radiant Women's Ministry Online Devotional!
Many lives have been touched by the women of H2O sharing their hearts through this effective ministry tool!
If you are new to this devotional, we would like to share with you how it works...
Each week, one woman will be featured in the devotional. She will have the opportunity to share a little about herself and what God has placed on her heart to share with the women of H2O. At the end of each post is a comment section labeled "encouragements". This is used as an opportunity to encourage and uplift our courageous women who are graciously sharing their hearts with us.
If you haven't already done so, please consider becoming a FOLLOWER of this devotional. This helps us see who this is reaching. Please click the "FOLLOW" link below. It will ask you to create an account....it only takes a few minutes.
If you are interested in becoming a featured woman of the week in our Radiant Ministry Online Devotional, you may sign up by clicking on the link below and typing your name into an open slot.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?hl=en&key=tx9hdZxjZNuqGVTlISykNRg&hl=en#gid=0
We look forward to another year of lives being changed and the women of H2O growing closer through this unique opportunity to share what God is doing in our hearts!

Friday, February 18, 2011

Tracy Thatcher February 21, 2011

















How long have you been coming to H2O? 9.5 years


What do you like to do for fun? Read a book, spend time with my husband and catch up on Facebook.


What's an interesting fact about you? I grew up

spending every summer (until I was 22 years old) at an all boys' Christian camp that my Dad was the Director of.

One thing that I have discovered lately is that I need to learn how to rest. It seems silly to me that something so "simple" is so hard for me to do. And yet I find myself going, going, going, until I have nothing left. While this is happening, I don't enjoy my husband, I don't enjoy my children and I don't enjoy my life. I'm only doing the seemingly thousand things that are requested of me and not truly living. I find myself becoming jealous of people who I hear saying they are relaxing or enjoying their children or just enjoying life. I think, "Why isn't that me? Why do I have so much to do? And why aren't they doing anything?".

This is an area that I need the Lord's help in. I know I can't do this on my own, because I've been trying for too many years and failed. I need Him to show me how to rest in Him and not feel anxious about all I think that needs to get done. Here are some verses that spoke to me.
Psalm 23:1-3 The Lord is my shepherd, I have everything I need. He lets me rest in green meadows; He leads me beside peaceful streams. He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to His name.
Hebrews 4:3a, 10 & 11 For only we who believe can enter His place of rest. For all who enter into God's rest will find rest from their labors, just as God rested after creating the world. Let us do our best to enter that place of rest. For anyone who disobeys God, as the people of Israel did, will fall. (emphasis mine)

I realized that God is the one who gives me strength and He ALLOWS me to rest. I need to rest and I need to make it a priority. I need time with God, I need time to myself, I need time with my husband and I need time with each of my boys. But when I look at all that "time", I think there isn't enough time to get it all done. And then I think, that's the point. There isn't enough time to get it all done, and I'm not expected to. I need to focus on the relationships that are most important to me, and take the time to be rested just for myself, so I can enjoy life and those relationships God has placed in my life. God also says in Matthew, that He will teach me how to rest. As it says in the Hebrews verses, I need to enter into God's rest, because that is where I will find rest from my work. This isn't the world's way of resting, which might be better labeled as escapism, but God's way. Unfortunately, that is as far as I've gotten. I am unsure as to what God's rest really is, but I know I need to make it a priority.

But I do know, that resting also means not worrying about all that needs to get done. Focusing on the one day I am living in and trusting the Lord to provide the strength and REST that I need.

Prayer Requests:
- I would make resting a priority and God would reveal to me what His rest looks like. This is a major struggle for me as my line of thinking is that I will rest after all my work is done. Unfortunately, all my work is never done and if I lived that way, I would never rest.

- Neil and I would get to have more frequent dates, as these times definitely help us rest together, reconnect and to have fun together again.

- I would feel rested enough to learn how to enjoy my boys again.




4 comments:

B said...

Tracy,
Thank you for the reminder to rest and how that affects our everyday lives. Sometimes it does take a conscious effort to enjoy our life and our family. Love comes easily, but enjoying does not always. I will be praying for you to make rest a priority and I am encouraged to do the same!

Unknown said...

I've got to say, I am the complete opposite of everything you just described. I have no problem putting things off indefinitely, and not worrying about anything getting done. Which leads then to my downfall: nothing gets done. Maybe we should swap half of our struggle in this, and then we'll be good to go! :) Thanks for sharing.

-Jenni said...

Thanks so much for sharing, Tracy. I know the feeling of only allowing yourself to rest after all the work is done. I pray that God helps you to rest in Him.

Mitzy said...

Tracy,
I had no clue. You always look calm and relaxed. If there is anything I can do to help please let me know. I will be praying for you.