
What is your current occupation. What do you enjoy about it?
I currently work part time as an IRA/HSA Specialist at a credit union. I like the research aspect to it. I love digging, finding errors, and fixing them. It's pretty rewarding knowing that you're able to save some people hundreds or thousands of dollars by catching an error that could have affected their taxes dramatically. I also like having the balance to work a few days a week and also spend time with my kids a few days a week. It's the perfect mix.
Devotional:
A little over a week ago, I returned from the Radiant Women's Retreat. I'll be honest. It wasn't really a “retreat” in the sense that I was expecting. It was the hard work, soul searching, make you want to run and hide at times type of retreat, but in a good way. While there, God had a theme that he kept bringing to my mind. It surfaced early in the weekend with the first word that came to my mind when I was asked about my heart's desires—rest.
If you knew me like God knows me, you would understand what is truly at the root of that desire. From a very early age, I was my single mother's emotional support. I was affirmed for being “mature” and “responsible” beyond my years. I was needed and I equated that with love. So I worked very hard at maintaining that image, maintaining the peace in our home, maintaining everyone's perceptions of me at the expense of me. I graduated at 17, went to college, got married, bought a house, started a career, had babies. Now I look back and I'm this tired, married home owner and mom who's thinking there's got to be more than this, right? I am tired of maintaining my life instead of living life to the fullest. And truthfully, some days I feel tired of being needed.
God revealed to me that I will never be able to fill my family's cups if mine is empty. Instead of looking to Him to be refreshed, I've indulged in numbing my needs through vegging. When I have any downtime, I spend it watching a show online or scanning Facebook rather than spending that time with God. At a heart level, I realized that I didn't trust that spending time with God would refresh me.
The first night home, God took my breath away. I sat down to spend time with him, not knowing where to start. It sort of felt like a first date all over again, but I was determined to show Him that I trust Him to give my heart the rest that it needs. I pulled out a book I'd received after my son was born. The title is 101 Ways to Relax and Reduce Stress. Seemed appropriate. The first page read, “God is the friend of silence. See how nature—trees, flowers, grass—grow in silence? The more we receive in silent prayer, the more we can give in our active life.” The second page quoted this verse: Matthew 11:28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest.” The Spirit just washed over me and I felt His presence so strongly.
Since I've come home, I can more clearly recognize God's voice calling me to come away with Him. Now it is a matter of trusting Him not to let me down, not to walk away feeling empty after being vulnerable. However, the battle has just begun. We were warned that when we came home we may begin to experience strong spiritual warfare. That was an understatement. I have been overcome by some emotions and struggles that I haven't faced in years. I have been unable to sleep some nights because of anxiety, fears, nightmares. The battle for my heart is in full force. In some ways it is encouraging because it means that God brought to life some barren areas of my heart. In other ways, it is scary and overwhelming.
Prayer Requests:
Please pray for me to continue to respond to God's pursuit of me and to practically trust Him by choosing to spend time with Him especially when all I want to do is tune the world out. Also, pray that God would direct me to verses that would help me to really attack those anxious and fearful thoughts.
4 comments:
Adi, WOW. This was SO good. Thank you so much for sharing so honestly here...I can definitely identify with that tension of wanting just to indulge, feel numb and escape life (however temporary) when in my heart I know God is offering the rest to my soul that I truly desire. I will be praying for you, that God would give you the strength and energy you need to stay in the fight, and that you would be able to experience His rest throughout the day, even in the busyness of it all...praying for protection over you and for continued and deepened intimacy with Him. Love your heart and love YOU!
Adrienne - I am so glad that God spoke to you about finding rest. That is definitely something He has been speaking to me, and it's hard to find too. My desire has also been to have joy in my life, and I've found the two to be related. If I haven't taken the time to rest and receive that from God directly, there isn't joy...true joy. Maybe you'll find that too. I will pray for your heart and your battle! love you!
p.s. it was fun to hear that a book I chose to go in your Mommy basket touched your heart in a real way even a year later.
I will be praying for you, Adrienne! I think every mom can relate to being overwhelmed at being needed what seems like all the time. It creates an exhaustion. And I totally know what you mean about wanting to just veg in front of the TV or the computer--I am guilty of that in a major way. I am glad God is meeting you during your time with Him. I pray for true rest for you, and I pray against the forces that are trying to deter you from your time with God. Thanks for sharing!
Adrienne,
Thank you for sharing! It was so great to have you in our group and to hear you share and see the transformation happening! It is encouraging and inspiring to hear about how you are fighting the spiritual warfare and how God is pursuing you. I will be praying for you this week to find true rest in God.
Post a Comment