What is your current occupation? What do you enjoy about it?
I work in the Great Commission Ministries Headquarters as their Missionary Resources Assistant. I love that I work in a Christian environment that is grace-filled and involves a lot of respect for those in our office and staff in the field. I love that we pray during staff meetings and before meals with one another. Most of all I really enjoy serving our field staff whether it be processing new applications or helping administrate the new staff trainings we have 3-4 times a year, it’s great to be behind the scenes of what GCM missionaries are doing (including the pastors and other staff that attend h2o).
What God’s been laying on my heart recently:
In a staff meeting at work, not too long ago, a co-worker said something that really stuck out to me. We probably have all heard this phrase before: The grass is always greener on the other side. My co-worker said: “For me, the grass always seems to be greener on the other side, but when I jump over the fence the grass dies.” This resulted in all of us laughing because she put into words (very bluntly) something that we all can relate to.
In high school, I had a high school sweetheart whom I was with from freshman year (of h.s.) through spring of my freshman year of college. We spent all of our time together and that caused me to not have much time for other friends. I really longed for deeper friendships that seemed to be surrounding me. I decided to break things off with him for many reasons and moved to Orlando that fall semester. That was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Since being in Orlando, I have become more passionate in my faith, found a church I love, and to top it all off I have a solid community complete with rich friendships that I am truly thankful for. There’s one thing missing. A boyfriend. After a budding relationship with the last guy I was involved with fizzled, I was really sad. I really like him and wanted it to work out. For many months I’ve felt not myself and it’s even harder still that many of my close friends are in serious relationships. There are little insecurities that I have started to feel about myself since recent relationships haven’t worked out that spark from things I’ve heard from other people and stick in my head (i.e. She's still single, I wonder what's wrong with her). Sometimes I feel like there’s a message out there that if you aren’t in a relationship with someone, something about you is defective. I don’t feel defective, but it’s hard for me to shake believing that lie. Thankfully that little black rain cloud that was following me around for the recent months of my life finally lifted a few weeks ago. I’m feeling much better again. I could say it’s the beautiful weather we’ve been having, or attribute it to other simple things like that, but that wouldn’t be acknowledging that I truly believe God is bringing peace upon me. Asking me to be patient in HIS plan for my life and to trust that it is better than what I would choose for myself if left to my own devices. In the mean time, I’m really trying to focus on the blessings He’s bestowed upon me in recent years. The grass around me is truly green and flourishing, I just have to remember to not lose sight of that and that my worth comes from God.
Prayer Requests:
I would love prayer for the women around us that are single and feeling lonely. That you ladies (if you’re reading this) won’t buy into the lies I’ve believed and will know how loved you are by God and those around you and how much you’re worth.
Praise:
My brother was fighting in Afghanistan and endured some really dangerous fighting conditions, but returned home unscathed a little over a month ago. This is a huge praise for our family.

2 comments:
Thanks for sharing, Stephanie. I know so many single gals struggle with the same feelings you expressed. One of my best friends is single, and I know it continues to be a struggle for her. I always tell her that there is no one out there good enough for her, and that's why she's single ;-). She's awesome, and you are awesome! Hang in there, and I will pray that you continue to feel God's peace in this stage of life.
I know EXACTLY how you feel. I am in the same boat. But we have to remember that we dont necessarily need a significant other in our lives to feel complete. I think that's what society has pushed on us. Just look at the positive, you have nothing holding you down !! You have endless opportunities to do what you want when you want to.
Keep smilin' !! The sun is out and shining !!
Post a Comment