Psalm 34:4-5

"I sought the Lord and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears.  Those who look to Him are RADIANT;  their faces are never covered with shame."  
Welcome to the Radiant Women's Ministry Online Devotional!
Many lives have been touched by the women of H2O sharing their hearts through this effective ministry tool!
If you are new to this devotional, we would like to share with you how it works...
Each week, one woman will be featured in the devotional. She will have the opportunity to share a little about herself and what God has placed on her heart to share with the women of H2O. At the end of each post is a comment section labeled "encouragements". This is used as an opportunity to encourage and uplift our courageous women who are graciously sharing their hearts with us.
If you haven't already done so, please consider becoming a FOLLOWER of this devotional. This helps us see who this is reaching. Please click the "FOLLOW" link below. It will ask you to create an account....it only takes a few minutes.
If you are interested in becoming a featured woman of the week in our Radiant Ministry Online Devotional, you may sign up by clicking on the link below and typing your name into an open slot.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?hl=en&key=tx9hdZxjZNuqGVTlISykNRg&hl=en#gid=0
We look forward to another year of lives being changed and the women of H2O growing closer through this unique opportunity to share what God is doing in our hearts!

Monday, April 4, 2011

Crazy Hope: by Leigh McLeroy: April 4, 2011

I am cautious with hope. I always have been. My heart leaps to it quickly, but my head says "Careful there, missy. That hope you're fooling with is dangerous stuff. You don't want to get hurt or look foolish, now do you?"

I don't. And because my head can argue longer (and louder) than my heart, I've spent a lifetime carefully reigning in my hope--and I've done a pretty darn good job of it.

Even so, my heart still sometimes gets the best of me.

I've fallen off the functional stoic's wagon a time or two of late. I've hoped, and I haven't exactly hoped in secret, either. And sure enough, I've been disappointed--and even a little ashamed that I didn't manage my longings with a firmer hand.

Creative projects that looked promising at first didn't pan out in the end, and I feel silly that I actually believed they would. Fledgling friendships that seemed they might flutter and take wing have fallen with a tiny thud, or worse, simply vaporized--leaving me feeling that I must have imagined what I saw and heard and felt, invented a hope-filled fiction that had no bearing in truth at all. And the old, familiar things I've counted on in the past to comfort me simply haven't, and don't much anymore.

I've dared my heart enough to hope, and it seems that hope is having the last laugh. The modest home I hoped I might buy, I can't. The numbers just don't quite add up. (While "self-employed" is a wonderful, unpredictable, faith-stretching way to live, it apparently fails to impress the mortgage experts.) And the elegant dress I did buy a while back for an anticipated celebratory event was never worn; I returned the purchase, tags still on, handing it and the receipt over to a quizzical clerk with a shrug and a quiet "Didn't work," although the dress itself worked just fine, thanks.

Hope is not for the faint-hearted. It requires no small amount of bravery to keep at it, and to risk disappointment. But even when I doubt the wisdom of cracking my heart open one more time for anything at all, I know I surely will. I will because the opposite of a hopeful heart is a hardened one, and that would be the death of me.

And I will because every crazy hope of mine is held by my builder-and-wrecking-ball, truer-than-true Father, who bids me come and ask again, and who never makes me feel ashamed for having done so...whether His answer hurts or heals.

Those who look to Him are radiant, and their faces are never covered with shame. (Psalm 34:5, NIV)

©Leigh McLeroy, 2011

No comments: