What is your favorite dessert? My favorite dessert is Crème brûlée. I have to be very picky about where I order it, though. When done well, it is divine. When it is not done well, it kind of tastes like sickly sweet scrambled eggs.
Devotional:
If you have kids, plan to have kids, know someone who has kids, or are a kid at heart, I highly recommend The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name by Sally Lloyd-Jones. We purchased this book for Landon this past Christmas. Everyday, we read stories from this book. Landon loves them, and I am blown away by them. They are the same stories that we know, but they are written in a fresh, child-friendly way. The thing that I love most is that every story ties back to Jesus. I wish I could read the whole thing to you right now, but here is just an excerpt:
"God wrote, 'I love you'--he wrote it in the sky, and on the earth, and under the sea. He wrote his message everywhere! Because God created everything in his world to reflect him like a mirror--to show us what he is like, to help us know him, to make our hearts sing. The way a kitten chases her tail. The way red poppies grow wild. The way a dolphin swims. And God put it into words, too, and wrote it in a book called 'The Bible.'"
This brings me to my current struggle. I am having a hard time reading my Bible. I have been spoken to by reading The Jesus Storybook Bible to Landon, true. However, I know that as an adult, as a Christian, I need to be in a "big girl" Bible. The Bible that so many people have spent years and years translating, so that every word that God spoke would be preserved into our language for our understanding. I'm not sure what my problem is, why I don't do it. I know how important it is. I know the protection it can give me against the lies that the enemy would have me believe. I know it will show me who God is, and it will show me who I am as a part of his kingdom. I know all of this, but I still struggle. So, please, ladies, pray for me that I would pick up God's Word and let it affect me and change me. For I know that "They are not just idle words for you—they are your life." Deuteronomy 32:47.
One more excerpt from The Jesus Storybook Bible:
"The Bible is most of all a Story. It's an adventure story about a young Hero who comes from a far country to win back his lost treasure. It's a love story about a brave Prince who leaves his palace, his throne--everything--to rescue the one he loves. It's like the most wonderful of fairy tales that has come true in real life! You see, the best thing about this Story is--it's true!"
Prayer Requests:
Pray that I can be a big girl and read my Bible.
Please pray for my father-in-law who is still struggling with a terminal illness.
Please pray for our Splash ministry and leaders. There are many great things coming, but it is a lot of work.
5 comments:
Jenni,
The Holy Spirit has been revealing much to me through God's Word lately and I will pray for you to experience the same.
I will be praying for you this week, that as you pick up your Bible and read God's Word that it would impact your life in such a way that you can't wait to pick it up the next time to hear what God is saying to you.
Hi Jenni,
I am having the same issues. My struggle is mainly with time and everything that is going on in my life. I just need to remember to sloowwww down and read it. So I will definitely pray for you. And thank you so much for sharing those stories from that book. That last one amazed me about the prince going to win back the one he loves! That definitely spoke to my heart!
Actually Jenni,
I was actually just thinking about your prayer request, and maybe this is something to ponder about. In Matthew 18:3 Jesus said "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." Maybe right now God wants to refresh your heart and fall in love with him all over again, and to find love for him like a little child. And maybe he's doing it through that book that you read with your child.
I will be praying still =)
Jenni,
Thank you for sharing your struggle. It is so hard in today's world to pick up our Bibles and quiet our hearts long enough to hear from God. I completely understand what you're dealing with! I'll pray for you, sister.
I'll also continue to lift up Ryan's dad and his illness. It's gotta be hard on both you and Ryan (and the rest of the family.)
Thank you for being a blessing to others.
Carol
Jenni -
I too, will pray that you will have moments where you can spend some time reading the Bible and that you would be drawn to it, and that it would impact you greatly. I understand the struggle and have been there many times myself.
Post a Comment