
A little background: I’m a soon to be 29 year old. I’m married to a wonderful husband (Dave) for almost 4 years now. We just moved into our first home this past Saturday! I’m a full time Family Nurse Practitioner for HIV+ adults and HIV+ pregnant women. I’ve lived in Florida most of my life and been in Orlando since starting college at UCF in 1999. I lead worship at our church and love participating in that way.
I’ve really enjoyed reading these blogs over the past weeks. The insight into your lives has touched mine, each in a different way. I’ve noticed a common theme of not feeling good enough and desiring to be perfect. I carry these feelings and desires on a daily basis.
I’m afraid I’m not measuring up at work, of being a nagging wife, of disappointing God, of being a bad friend, an inattentive daughter, an overbearing mother (when we finally get there) and the list goes on….
I’ve recently noticed how often I shift blame to others just because I don’t want to accept the responsibility that it may have been my fault….which would mean I’m not perfect. It’s a constant battle to tell myself that I do not obtain salvation by works. I know that it is by grace I am saved and can spend time with our Lord, but I often don’t feel it. I easily get disappointed in others when they don’t meet my perfect expectations, then reminding myself that I hold an unattainable standard even for myself.
Scripture I would like to memorize and meditate on is:
Galatians 5:1 It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.
Galatians 5:5-6 But by faith we eagerly await through the Spirit the righteousness for which we hope. For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.
NONE of us are perfect, nor can we expect others to be. We CAN love our Lord and learn to see ourselves as he sees us. We CAN also extend grace to others just as Christ has to us.
Prayer Requests:
1) Pray for the people of Parkishon, Kenya and our church team going there in July.
2) Pray that Dave & I keep perspective while settling into our new home
3) Pray that we daily realize our righteousness is only obtained through Christ and lived out by the Holy Spirit in us (not our own efforts).
4) Pray for our church leaders and guidance as they shepherd us in living out our walk with Christ.