
This past weekend I had the privilege to hear Lamar Vest, President of the American Bible Society, speak. His topic was, “Uncovering the Veil”. Below are just a few things from his talk I wanted to share; I hope you will find them interesting as well.
First, it seems that whenever a veil is mentioned in Scripture it is always a divider. All of Exodus chapters 25-27 are dedicated to God’s very specific instructions of how He wanted the Tabernacle to be made. He specified the type of materials to use and even the colors. In Chapter 26 of Exodus God gives definite specifications of the curtains to be used. Several curtains are defined; the curtain length was precise along with the number of loops with bronze clasps for hanging the veil. Why did God do this?
He was separating the public area used daily from the Holy of Holies where the Priest would enter only once a year. The veil behind which the Priest entered yearly was completely different. It is said to have been the thickness of a man’s hand! It took 300 priests to just hang it! God meant business because He is completely Holy and we are desperately unholy.
Before the High Priest entered the Holy of Holies a sacrifice of blood was made, the priest washed, trimmed lamps and lit candles and only then was prepared to enter into the place where God’s glory was present.
When our Lord died on the cross and finished paying for all sin; past, present and future, something happened to that thick veil in the Temple that separating God from man. Mark 15:37 tells us that it was torn from the top to the bottom symbolizing that no longer was there a need to separate God from man! Only God could have done that!
The heavy curtain which separated man and a holy God was no longer intact. God Himself had torn it because His only Son was sacrificed for us so we could now go directly to God to ask for forgiveness instead of having to sacrifice animals to pay for sin. I John 1:9 tells us that, If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
This heavy curtain which once separated God from men and women is something I can’t imagine living with. It seems impossible that the Children of Israel who lived before Christ saw God work, some witnessed miracles and visible leading with a cloud in the day and pillar of fire at night. But they could never have a relationship with Him because they did not have the Holy Spirit to live inside of them. Only after Christ died and our sins were taken on in His body was that possible. He ascended to heaven so another relationship could begin, the one where He lives in us and can relate with each of us personally.
When my husband died, almost 11 years ago now, my walk with the Lord deepened over time. It wasn’t easy because I was used to talking things over with my mate, disagree, weigh out pro’s and con’s in situations and make decisions together. Once he was gone I felt at a huge disadvantage. My kids were 10 &13, I felt the huge absence of a man in the house.
But, my dependence deepened. Every morning at 5 AM I got up and had time in God’s word and prayed through the day. It literally came to the point that if I did not do this I was unable to start my day, it seemed impossible without Him! Gradually, my relationship with the Lord, who only wanted the best for me and my kids, grew, He could fully be trusted with perfect direction, the right advice, the answer to my questions. It took time, and often it was frustrating! I wanted an e-mail detailing things to do, I simply have little patience! I longed for a tangible person, I got sick of trusting sometimes, it was so hard and I had what seemed then to be such big needs! When Reilly was diagnosed with learning disabilities, I had to trust and turn to my Rock and Shelter for a new school and many readjustments for a child who didn’t deal well with change. When Annika left for college there was an added level of quiet in our place, she was growing up and away.
But there were sweet times too; moments when I saw the Lord’s mercy and love shine through. God was the one who allowed me to back the car out of the garage before the wooden door fell off the hinges in a heap. God planted the idea in the mind of one family who supplied a pizza to be delivered to our house every Wednesday night, pre-paid of course. The Lord allowed me to lead mission trips overseas and take my kids with me. I wouldn’t have traded that for anything!
Over time, and with added practice, I lived life in tune with Him. I saw how I didn’t just need Him, but wanted Him. I am so thankful that curtain was torn, that veil was gone. I can approach the throne of grace boldly, knowing He loves to see me standing there.